Re: cracked my exhaust! & injector question

     Ahhh, you said the evil word-- Midas.

     As for your injectors, the later models such as your 16v have the
     'shrouded style' injectors with 2 o-rings per injector.  I just did an
     o-ring/1 injector replacement on my 87 Jetta.  And the old method of
     grasping and pulling did not work for me.  Since mine was an 8v and I
     had the valve cover gasket off, I just used 2 beefy screw drivers
     (left a piece of gasket on the head so as not to mar or scratch) and
     put the blades under the nut that holds the injector tip to line, and
     pop-pop-pop-pop, piece of cake.

     You can try a similar method on the 16v, although the manifold might
     be in the way.

     Instead, invest the $10.00 in the injector puller tool, as it should
     make getting these shrouded baby's out.

     Here is some other stuff I did;

     ******How to make VW special tool (as seen in Bently books) to measure
     and test fuel injectors.  The thing that looks like test-tubes mounted
     on the bumper.******

     Supplies needed:
     ----------------
     4 16oz or larger spring water bottles WITH NIPPLE
     I used Spring Mountain bottles
     Cable ties if you are a neat freak

     What to do:
     -----------
     Remove the white part of nipple from bottles.
     There should be a ridge where nipple sits when closed.
     Using ridge as guide cut off excess nipple cap above this ridge. The
     opening you just made is just larger than the injector heads. Slip
     injectors into bottles (you may have to loosen ends at
     fuel distributor to swing lines to bumper).
     Chain cable ties together to hold 4 bottles together as unit.

     Testing:
     --------
     Expose mass airflow plate under rubber boot. Put gas in tank
     Jump fuel pump relay and let pumps run for a minute
     Using magent or grasping nut on airflow plate pull up on plate to
     begin fuel flow to injectors.
     Note spray pattern at various levels of airflow plate Do this for
     about 2 minutes.
     Compare levels in bottles.