Tech-Upgrades to 80 Scirocco

Brubaker, John" <JBrubaker@AMF.com> writes:
Subject: Which will provide more power?
>All right guys, need some advice?  Which will provide more power
>to my car?  A new Allison XR700 Ignition System ($110) or a new
>Techtonics dual downpipe (w/ cat) - $115?  I have an 80 S with
>stock ignition system (points from what I've been told).  The
>only engine mods I have are an oversized throttle-body (Audi
>5000), ventilated air filter box, slightly less than legal cat,
>and the 2" catback TT exhaust system.

I would recommend to not buy either of those.
First the stock manifold you have (twin outlet small six bolt) is a
great manifold along with the factory downpipe and flexpipe. If you
put the TT downpipe on you loose the flex pipe and can have future
problems due to the lack of it. If you do use the downpipe a HD rubber
or Poly front mount is a must. The gains from the downpipe would be
almost nothing.
Second if you have points (must be non-cal. car) I would recommend to
upgrade to the factory electronic ignition. You can get all the parts
off a Rabbit, A1 Jetta, Cab or Scirocco that came with electronic
ignition factory. The US rabbits are the easiest as they have a
separate harness and it makes it easy to install the parts.
We use to sell kits but now they are very cheap to find in the
wrecking yards.
Here is a webpage I have on it.
http://www.newdimensions.com/Pictures/ELEIGN1.GIF
http://www.newdimensions.com/Pictures/ELEIGN2.GIF

The upgrade to electronic ignition is well worth it as I did it to my
78 back in 82-83 and it was a MAJOR change. Started easier, ran
smoother and had more response.

turbotim@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com