Re: Low Voltage at Startup (Alternator ?)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, SHAWN C MEZE wrote:

> Ever noticed how the lights get brighter as well? That's because until
> you do get the rpms over 2,000rpms, its running off the battery. I recall
> reading that the lights stay on until the rpms pass 2G. After that the
> charging system is working ect. My Rabbit did it, my Scirocco does it and
> my GLi does it as well.

I have an interesting story regarding this - I recently had to get my car
past emissions, and it took two tries...  After it failed the first pass,
I noticed that the idle speed was a little high on the result sheet (which
happens, not only during cold idle, but also when the alt isn't spooled up
entirely).  Whenever mine does that, it also runs way rich - something to
do with the control pressure regulator, I think.  It wouldn't have been a
problem except that the state test locations around here make you turn the
car off before they test it - I took it around the second time, and gave
explicit instructions to the guy in my lane to bump the revs over 3000 or
so after starting it...  Passed with flying colors that time.  Something to
keep in mind if your car has this alternator spool-up tendency and you fail
the idle hydrocarbon test...

At least now I know a hollowed-out cat won't necessarily make a JH fail an
emissions test... :)

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/