Re: Low Voltage at Startup (Alternator ?)

At 02:39 10/1/97 EDT, you wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Oct 97 00:38:13 UT "Jeff Wheeler" <j_dubbya@classic.msn.com>
>writes:
>
>>Mine does the same thing, and yes, tapping the accelerator just over
>>1k rpms turns the light off every time, but I'm not thrilled about
>blipping
>>the throttle  so sonn after startup, before the oil gets everywhere.  My
>
>>previous 2 Sciroccos never did this, so I'm thinking this must be a
>correctable
>>condition.
>>
>>Then again, maybe I should stop worrying, blip  away, and get myself a
>>life!
>

>Ever noticed how the lights get brighter as well? That's because until
>you do get the rpms over 2,000rpms, its running off the battery. I recall
>reading that the lights stay on until the rpms pass 2G. After that the
>charging system is working ect. My Rabbit did it, my Scirocco does it and
>my GLi does it as well.
>I do give it a good 5-10 seconds to be sure the crank as got some fluid
>in the journals..... Not that it matters much since it is all cold
>anyways. (Ah! Did you feel a shiver down your spine to that thought too?)
>
>              Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi

Another reason not to let the car idle for extended periods with the lights
on! The alternator (or generator) does not make enough voltage to charge the
battery until it's running above idle. I'm sure that letting the alt. light
stay on for even a full minute when the car is cold won't have any bad
effect, if you are looking for oil pressure before you 'blip' it.

Anyone out there using a preoiler on their Roc?

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert