Re: alternator

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:31:19 -0400 joshua14@juno.com (Joshua D Johnson)
writes:
>hello there,
>
>	The other day I noticed my alternator light coming on.  Well,
>like a dumb sack of cow feces I Ignored...
>result: I broke down on the side of the road and had to call my uncle
>to come and pick me up.
>
>The real question is: I have heard that a particular GM alterlator
>could be fit into a scirocco with positive results.  I have a friend
>who did it on an 8v and it worked wonders for the whole performance of
>his car,
>but would it work on a
>6v???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

>What amperage or voltage difference is there between the 8v and 16v
>alternators...mounting differences?
>
>Joshua
>88 16v (dead)

8V and 16V alternators mount totally different, but they both come in 90
amp models.  Audi 90 Quattros use the same style alternator as the 16V,
but it puts out 115 amps.  I know at Advance Auto Parts they can get both
alternators, but look it up for a '90 Audi 90 Quattro, it will give you
both options and the 115 amp only cost about $15 dollars more, which
sadly is about $200. I got the 115 amp version off a wrecked (junked)
Quattro at the VW/Audi garage I worked at for about 6 years.

shikaroka@juno.com
82 Scirocco 16V (highly modified)
87 GTI G60
72 Baja Bug & Karmann Ghia