Re: That @&*^@# Shift Light

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:27:55 -0700 (MST) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.colorado.edu> writes:
>2 ways, pull the relay(yes, a single relay for just that light)..or find
>the sensor and unplug it...the sensor is attatched to a vacuum line is
>round and has an electrical connector on it....
>HTH!
>Eric

Man, youz guyz is going about this all wrong. Heres the REAL way to take
care of that pesky little yeller light.
What you'll need:

1 Phillips screwdriver
1 hammer
1 pair of pliers. (only one, not two!)
1 pair of scissors. (Sharp. and don't run with them in your hands!)
1 ruler
1 roll of black electrical tape.
1 set of car keys
1 cup holder
1 can of beer. (Your choice of brands. Choose wisely.)
1 shop towel
1 assistant

Heres all the steps you'll ever need to fix this problem. After you have
done this once, you will be the shift light masters!

Now its time to get to work.

Step #

1) Bring all of the above with you out to the job site. Carefully unlock
the door with the keys     and open the door nice and wide. Put the keys
in your pocket or you'll loose them.

2) Now, take the hammer, screwdriver and pliers and lay them in the floor
of the car. These     are useless here, but it looks like your doing
major surgery. They're for effect only.

3) By now, you've worked up a terrible thirst. Crack open that beer and
carefully place it in its cup holder so it don't git spilt.

4) Carefully take the roll of black electrical tape and (I hope you got
fingernails!) unspool out     a 3" long piece. Measure it with your
ruler.

5) Now with the scissors, cut the tape to length.  Heres where it gets
tricky. It takes a trained     eye for the next few steps.

6) Now, sitting in the drivers eat, like when your really driving,
eyeball the cursed yellow         shift light and carefully place the
tape over the light. Apply more tape as needed.

7) Have the assistant take the shop towel and wipe your forehead.
(Because by now, you've     worked up quite a sweat!)

And just like that, your all done! Now you can drive your car without
being told when to shift! Shift when you wanna shift and how you wanna
shift!!

BTW: this also works on VCR's, clock radios and some modern stoves.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
Oh, somebody PLEASE take me seriously on this one........