Re: crowbar to the steering lock

>Man That SUCKS, Greg!  They didn't have to total it did they? The thieves
>could have been a little more careful with your baby.  Those senseless
>bastards!
>
>Yeh, the only thing holding the ingnition collar (ring) to the column is
>a loose allen bolt, that you can usually remove with a screwdriver. Then
>a descent sized screwdriver or pry bar can pry it out of they way, since
>it is only made out of cheap quality aluminum.  TOO EASY!!!
>A friend of mine thought of making some kind of steel box that bolted
>around the column that would stop this from being possible. Then even if
>they started it, they couldn't steer it.

Its a good idea but I wonder if constantly locking a collar around it
will mar the column after a while.
 A bit of consolation, tommorow I pick up a new '88 16V, which was very
well cared for. I hope whoever buys my old one at auction revives it.
What a lucky break the new one came up a week after mine was stolen so I
didn't have to hunt around for months. This first money that goes into
this one is security. Armor door plates, starter cut, fuel cut, alarm.
Rented a locked garage too. This won't happen again, and I'll feel safe
to do mods only after these essentials are in.

>   For my Bug, I have a aftermarket shifter that has a locking mechanism
>in it (uses a key), that when locked, makes it impossible to shift gears.
>That would be a good idea for newer VW's, but it is kind of ugly. But,
>that gives me an idea, maybe I could design one that fits under the boot,
>so you couldn't see it. Then just lock it in reverse. How's that sound?
>
>Todd J.

So much cool aftermarket bug stuff huh?
I saw a row of Clubs in the store today which gave me an idea. I think
they are easily defeatable with a hacksaw to the wheel, but it might be
possible to modify it into a good transmission lock.
1) cut the hook off the center
2) take the pole end of it and thread it.
3) Then get a pipe 3 inches diameter and a couple of inches long and weld
a plate on one end, to make a cup.
4) Thread the end of the club, then bolt the cup to it from the inside.
5) Cut a slot in the cup

Hopefully it would be long enough to span from the base of the raised
parking brake to the shifter in the reverse position. It would prevent
the release of the parking brake, and lock the shifter at the same time.
The cup encloses the knob to protect it from being removed.  Nothing
welded so it's still tempered and tough to saw through, and defends
against towing, which there doesnt seem to much in the way of defence.

Waddya think?

Greg