From: Greg schilhab <gschil@orthomed.org>
To: "Scirocco" <scirocco-l@privateI.com>
Subject: Insurance offer: what the better deal?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 97 18:22:26 -0400

I'm experiencing alot of cognitive dissonance on the deal I was just
offered. Kissing my recoved 16V goodbye and getting a new one or bringing

it back from the dead with settlement money.

Here's the deal from my insurance co. (canadian bucks $1.00 US= 0.72 CAN)

Door number 1: Insurance co. totals my car. I get $4100 + 8%(tax)= $4428
for a new car. The 16V I'm looking at is perfect but stock and is $4500 +

8% = $4860

Door number 2: Insurance co.gives me $4100-$1066 (salvage for my car) =
$3,034
I then would have my car plus $3,034 to undo the damage.

This is what I _know_ I need due to the thievery.
1 stainless 2.25 techtonics downtube/catalytic pipe (Flex was sheared
off)
1 momo leather steering wheel
1 momo anatomic leather shifter
1 shifter bushing and cup set
1 sliding heater control w/ cable (to core) I think the whole assembly is

demo'd
3 Badges from hatch: 1 VW silver and the 2 16V ones
2 new tires

Thats just the known stuff missing (there may very well be be other
damage) I'll also need:

Parking brake fixed (who knows-possibly rear calipers as well)
2 rims straightened
New stereo.
repair power locks

Gotta decide by tommorro. Any opinions or experiences are heartily
welcomed.

Greg