Re: Update:STRANGE & SERIOUS PROBLEM!

>	Just a follow up on the problem. Thanks to all who replied.
>
>As per suggestions on this list I ordered a voltage regulator for my 87
>16V. I installed it last night. Then I went out for a drive hoping I had
>fixed the problem.
>
>In a matter of minutes the alternator acted up again. The lights
>brightened up intermittently and the belt squealed as the rpm's
>increased.
>
>So the problem still exists as before. After the drive I lifted the hood
>to check out and saw white smoke/fumes coming out of the alternator
>itself. I am lost! Don't know how to proceed.
>
>Brandon, do you have any update on your situation?
	After a few days of not having any problems at all I decided it was a fluke.
Until....   While driving home one night both the battery and o2 Sensor
light flashed on
for a few seconds and off again.  It did that for about 10 mins.  Next
morning I changed
my voltage regulator (non Bosch replacement) I have not had any problem since.

As for your white smoke/fumes from the alternator.  That sounds like the
brushes have
gone bad and they are shorting out.  Before you go and buy a new/rebuilt
alternator try calling
some local automotive electric shops.  I have found a place that will
clean, sandblast, re-paint,
re-brush, and fix or replace the pulley for under $75  And guarantee it for
12 months.  That
sounds a lot better than the $150 for a new Bosch alt.

Brandon Colvin
mailto:bcolvin@hiwaay.net
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~bcolvin/