Re: New and maybe clutch problems

At 22:04 23.11.97 +0000, clfitz@ns1.cwv.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to this list and own a 1987 scirocco and am slowing realizing what
>> a great car it is.
>> I have a couple of questions.  While taking the car in to get a safety
>> check I mentioned that when I was starting to move in first gear there was
>> a considerable shuddering and later in other gears the car is fine.
>>
>> The guy (at a Volkswagon repair place) said that it might be better to
>> replace the clutch.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice??????

Hi,

welkommen!

A good way to test your clutch: try to drive in fourth gear, some 40 kmh
and then push the gas to the bottom. You'll be sure to notice if your rpms
go up and in that case you'll have to change it. The sooner the better,
then you can probably change the clutch-plate only. Which is easy.

luck!