Re: New and maybe clutch problems

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list and own a 1987 scirocco and am slowing realizing what
> a great car it is.

Welcome to the list!  You'll enjoy it, I bet.

> I have a couple of questions.  While taking the car in to get a safety
> check I mentioned that when I was starting to move in first gear there was
> a considerable shuddering and later in other gears the car is fine.
>
> The guy (at a Volkswagon repair place) said that it might be better to
> replace the clutch.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice??????

That sounds like it's your problem...Does the car feel like it's slow
to "take up" when you shift into higher gears?  What I mean is, is
there a second or two when the RPMs stay a little high, and then fall
to where they should be?  If so, then it's probably the clutch.

They're not that awfully hard to replace, but if you've never done it
on a front-wheel-drive car, it would really help if you had a friend
around who had.  Mark Davison, who's on the list (At least, I *think*
he's still here!) can give you some idea of cost, and some good
advice on what you'll need.  (Mark?  You there??)

Good luck!

Carlee