Re: my scirocco update

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 13:52:06 -0500 (EST) Rich Deede----TOOL FAN
<rdeed@UDel.Edu> writes:
>Ok here is the current update on my scirocco.  I just went home and
tried
>to jump it like most of you suggested.  I didn't want to do anything
>wrong so I followed the EXACT instructions for jumping the car that are
>given in my scirocco owners manual.  The result was no different, the
car
>didn't do a damn thing.  No cranking, no noise, no nothing.  I asked a
>local mechanic real briefly what he thought without looking at it and he
>said that the battery might be too dead to even charge, if it's not
>something else.  So the question is, what now?

PUNT!!!

Uh, no. its early in the first quarter and 2nd down and short to go.
heres the deal, (as I know it to be, THE deal.) Dead battery. it sounds
like its really dead. So, jumping it and trying to start the car with the
result of nothing happening means one of a few things:
1) your battery is SO dead that there wasnt enough juice flowing to
charge your dead battery AND crank over the motor.
2) You could have a bad connection in the charging system/ starting
system.

What to do??
Well, you should start checking out a bunch of things before you go any
further. At the same time, buy that cheap battery charger like I
recommended earlier and have your battery on it until you finish sorting
things out. That way you will have a charged battery. Then remove and
clean all the electrical connectors that goto your charging system and
starter system. Remove the Negative cable from the car, and clean all 3
contacts on it. (One at the battery Terminal, one at the chassis ground
and the last one should mount on your tranny mount.) Clean both contact
points, not just the wire connector.

Do the same thing with your Positive wire that goes to your starter.
There is a smaller wire that goes from the ign switch to the starter that
if loose, can have the effect that your experiencing. I had problems with
mine falling off. Easy to fix by crimping the connector a little. I also
tie wrapped the wire to another wire so it holds it in place and doesn't
move around. (Which is why it fell off to begin with on my car.)

Something else you can do is use/buy/make (whatever) a remote starter.
It's a wire that connects (clips) to the + on the battery and the little
terminal (Like what I mentioned above.) Mine has a pistol type grip that
has a switch in it that is either on (squeeze) or off (release). You can
test the ign switch by jumping the starter this way. if it cranks, turn
on the ign switch so it will start. You can start the car from outside
the car. I dunno if any of this is news to anybody, but I wanted to add
as much helpful info as I could.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan/meze/hello/