Re: scirocco question

Well, they may have put in a new battery to "hide" a bad alternator.
You can drive for quite awhile on a new battery (during the day at
least) without the alternator recharging it.  See if you can jump
start it and grab a volt meter place ends of the volt meter on the
battery terminals.  When the car is running you should be getting
>12volts (mine usually reads 13.6v) at the battery posts.

This is really no big deal, and knowing that this could be the problem
is better than if it is not and you have other gremlins.

---Rich Deede----TOOL FAN <rdeed@UDel.Edu> wrote:

> I have not tried to jump it but this is because I was told that a new
> battery was just put in and that is why I automatically ruled the
battery
> out.  But if you guys think it might be the battery then I'll take
your
> word for it and give a try and jump the car.  Iw on't be able to try
until
> this weekend so I let you guys know then what happened.
>
> By the way, I have Black Leather seats that are all leather and they
have
> no cloth strip in the middle, is this unusual?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich
> scirocco 16v(hopefully running soon)-Black
>

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Paul Krucke wrote:
>
> > Did you attempt to jump start it?  Based on your description it
sounds
> > like your battery was not able to put out enough cranking
> > amps....Which could lead to a faulty alternater that has been
failing
> > to charge the battery...Could just be a bad battery.  Does the
starter
> > spin the engine at all?
> >

> > ==
> > -Paul