Re: Looked at an 87 16V - kinda long

>Worth the 1300?  I'm thinking a good 16V goes for 3500, so is 2200 off
>that worth it?  I'd really love to have a Scirocco again...

Tale of 2 sciroccos: I bought a similar 16V which had: 4 owners, broken
ball joint, bit o' rust, cracked downtube, dead cat back exhaust, sloppy
shift linkage, Broken heater cable, seat cable, hatch cable, clutch cable
for $3200.00 CAN. My experience over the two years of owning it was that
I couldn't seem to pull it out of its downward spiral-every two weeks
like clockwork something else went. For a few weeks there when everything
worked it was sweet, but I didn't believe this scirocco would ever
rehabilitate itself- a case of battered scirocco
syndrome :(. The new 16V I'm looking at is $4600 and for that extra cash
its not only low mi but *everything* works. This guy brought it in to the
dealer every 6 months just for a looksie, and anything slightly
questionable was replaced. The service record is just a bunch af
maintenance things, no major stuff at all. Looking at it I believe him.
The whole car just plain feels new, and the price of avoiding all that
that aggravation is a measly 1400 bucks. IMHO I would spend more on a
cared for, they're rare but not that rare.

Greg