Re: Need Help From the Experts (Shawn, Andy) or Anyone Else

>>If I drive his car at about 30-35 mph, running at about 3k RPM +, it
>will
>>tap, but if I let off the throttle just enough to maintain a steady
>>speed...it stops and doesn't tap anymore until I press the accelerator.
>

>That still really sounds like ping to me. Ping sounds like a high pitched
>rattle. Rod knock sounds like..... rod knock. Piston slap sounds more
>like ping that rod knock.

It kinda sounds similar to spark knock, but with a slightly higher pitch.  I
need to drive his car to hear it again.

>What about first gear, where the load isn't so severe. From a rolling
>start, low rpm, jump on the throttle. Does it ping?? It should'nt since
>the load is low but if its piston slap or rod knock,  you will hear it.
>Not only that, the knock will get worse and worse as you drive the car.

Doesn't matter what gear it is in.  It's all pretty much the same.  However
one thing that I left out was that on real hard accelleration the tap goes
away,  but eventually it comes back.  It's wierd......normally rod knock is
constant (noticeable at any engine speed....even idle,  worse at high RPM's)

>Piston slap and rod knock are pretty much terminal for which ever part is
>failing. Id leave it alone for the next couple days and keep driving it
>and see if it gets worse or not. Don't drive it to the point it seizes on
>you. That's no fun and not worth the extra expense of buying another
>crank because the bearing spun.
>If it is rod knock, you will be able to hear it at idle and as engine
>speeds increase, the knock gets louder with it.
>Tell me, what's the water temp of the car?? Does it run hot??

Car runs fine......hasn't tired to overheat at all.

Gerry
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/7808/smokinn.html
87 Scirocco  16v  Euro'ed Out!!
92 Jetta GL  8v