Re: Need Help From the Experts (Shawn, Andy) or Anyone Else

> I have been working on this guys 88 Scirocco 16v.  Before I tear this guys
> engine down needlessly, has anyone ever come across a tapping at high RPM.
> More noticeable around 3K, with the engine under a heavy load.  Doesn't
> really sound like a knock.  I was thinking it was his timing.  Checked out
> fine though.  Car runs great, except for difficult hot starts he complains
> about, not immediately after he shuts the engine down, but maybe an hour or
> two later.  (Control pressure regulator maybe?)  Shawn.......need help on
> this one guys before I ask this guy to cough up some big bucks to have his
> engine rebuilt.

  The hot start problem sounds similar to what I dealt with for a day or so
when I first got my 16V. Clean all ground contacts, and add a ground wire
from the battery -ve to the alternator housing. Doing the simple ground
upgrades makes these cars so much easier to start, and fixes the fairly common
problem of dead batteries. It can't hurt to do it, even if it doesn't fix
it.

  The tapping sounds like maybe its the hydraulic lifters? Has he
checked/changed oil recently? What weight is he using? And does it occur when
the engines cold or warm or both?

Brad