Re: Need Help From the Experts (Shawn, Andy) or Anyone Else

Smokinn wrote:

> I have been working on this guys 88 Scirocco 16v.  Before I tear this guys
> engine down needlessly, has anyone ever come across a tapping at high RPM.
> More noticeable around 3K, with the engine under a heavy load.  Doesn't
> really sound like a knock.  I was thinking it was his timing.  Checked out
> fine though.  Car runs great, except for difficult hot starts he complains
> about, not immediately after he shuts the engine down, but maybe an hour or
> two later.  (Control pressure regulator maybe?)  Shawn.......need help on
> this one guys before I ask this guy to cough up some big bucks to have his
> engine rebuilt.
>
> Gerry
> http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/7808/smokinn.html
> 87 Scirocco 16v  Euro'ed Out!!
> 92 Jetta GL 8v

The hot start problem can be traced to a fuel transfer pump in the gas
tank.  They were recalled due to this problem.  As far as the 3k
tapping, it could be the lifters.  Try going up or down one grade of
motor oil and see if that helps.  Otherwise, it could be flywheel bolts
making the noise.  VW issued a TSB concerning that problem.

Jim Buck,
ES #99
1997 Points Champion,
E-Stock Champion,