Re: Getting the G60 project started

> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 GIMPYvwMtb@aol.com wrote:

> well this is where it gets interesting..
> My theory is that the lower pressure caused by the 16V's flow will offset
> the lower pressure required in high compression motors.  I've been reading
> articles on turbocharging high compression Porsche motors (11:1) and with
> low amounts of boost its entirely feasible and safe. My big problem is
> getting the mixture and ignition timing corrected but I think that the
> knock sensor box and oxygen sensor might be able to handle a bit of this

  Running lower boost levels on higher compression engines is feasible, but
you should take a few extra precautions. Detonation is a pretty easy thing to
get to occur, and if it occurs while under boost its pretty easy to do
serious damage. Your knock sensor will retard the ignition, but it will take
a split second to do so, and under boost it doesn't take much. Retard your
timing. And the oxygen sensor feedback won't compensate for the additional
fuel requirements of the supercharger. Use of a Powermodule would work well,
since boost is a function of RPMs. But the power module may not have enough
levels of adjustment in it without modifying it, I would be surprised if it
did. And for what you're doing, an air fuel ratio meter would be a good
idea. It will be able to tell you if you go lean under boost, which is a big
no-no.

Brad