Re: hey guys!

At 10:15 PM -0700 11/16/97, Night Shadow wrote:
>Hey guys, Eric the eternal lurker here....have been dealing with a few
>problems lately, been very busy....stupid e-brake handle broke on me, car
>rolled down hill...blown tire, bent axle...that was fun!

Is the transmission broken?  Did you leave it in neutral by mistake?
Lame......

>My car(80 rocco with 88 cabrio motor) starts fine, revs up to 1500 when
>cold...then drops after a few minutes, but will climb up again, and won't
>drop, even  though the car is warm.....if I shut it off for a few min, and
>restart will idle normally...

Think this is a computer;)?

but sometimes it will creap up again...very
>intermittent...I've pulled the electrical connectors to the control
>pressure thing(on the block, 2 fuel lines), no difference,

Should'nt make one.....the electrical connection is only to speed warming
of the CPR while the block is cold on cold days.  When cold, the fuel
pressure is higher, resulting in a richer mixture to assist cold running,
and as the block warms the CPR, it lowers the pressure/leans the mixture -
once warm, the CPR is not doing anything, but even if it were,
disconnecting it would only make the pressure higher(as it cools), mixture
richer...

 pulled
>connector to 5th injector, no difference....

Is it leaking?  That might do it.

what could be causeing this
>strange high idle?

Does it climb to 1500 and stop?  If it stops, I'd just adjust the throttle
body.  If not, and I'm guessing it is not(being intermittent), I'd look at
several things.  First, make sure everything is adjusted correctly - things
change over time, especially when you put a new engine in a new car, seems
to take time to let things settle.  Beyond that, I'd clean the airflow
sensor, make sure the plate is aligned properly - maybe it is hitting
something and not returning completely to the idle setting.  Maybe
something is dirty in the throttle body.  Throttle cable too tight/dirty?
Thermotime switch bad?  That's the one on the water fitting on the head
between 3&4 above the water temp sender(one of them.  Think its the
thermotime, the one that controls the cold start valve).  Slight,
intermittent vacuum leak?  Could be a million things, but I'd start by
making sure everything is clean and adjusted right, then go from there.  A
leaky cold start valve will do just what you are talking about, but AFAIK,
it is a bit rare.  Being that it sometimes goes away with restart, I'd
maybe look at the airflow plate.  I had an intermittent idle problem,
turned out to be a cracked intake(not your problem, if it is a vacuum leak,
it'd have to be small, I'd guess).  Loose throttle body bolts creating a
small leak when warm?  Could be a million things, but first make sure
everything is adjusted right!

Mannix