Re: Still overheating

50/50 is the correct ratio!! or 70/30 (depends on your climate)...but pure
antifreeze is a no no...logically, the name implies antifreeze...when
mixed with water at the correct ratios...you effectively lower the
freezing temperature of your coolant but still retain the heat
dissipations qualities of the water...(I think)...  :)

Dale 84 8v

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Domenic Lippolis wrote:

> At 10:17 PM 11/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Gerry, I've never heard of pure coolant doing any harm to the engine.  In
> >fact, you're NOT supposed to put water into the radiator because _that_
> >causes corrosion.  The coolant has a higher heat carrying capacity than
> >water, so I'd suggest draining the rad. and refilling with only _real_
> >coolant ie good stuff like Prestone.
> >
> >-JG
> >
> >Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>
>         Not true, Anti-freeze alone is not what is supposed to be there.
> And only when mixed with a 50% Antifreeze/ 50% Water is the mixture able to
> optimally dispell heat from the system.  Anti-freeze alone is not correct,
> just as water alone is not correct.  You can use distilled water which is
> mineral free to fill it up with if you are worried about build up..
>
> 					DOM!
>         1997 FCSCC EP CHAMPION------>	1980 VW Scirocco S in EP
> 					1979 VW Westfalia
> 					1987 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde