Q:Are my problems fixed? A:I hope so!

You may recall the two problems that I have had with my 2 beloved VWs. The
82 Scirocco has a rattle/diesel sound, which I thought was a loose
alternator (due to bad bushings - gonna be replaced, but not in any hurry)
and the 91 Jetta was acting awfully strangely (randomly not wanting to
produce any power?)

This weekend, I replaced the Fuel Filter on the Jetta, (Yech - it's under
the car!) checked the resistances on the Airflow sensor (all fine thank
God!) and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on just about everything that
I could see under the hood. Knocking on wood, everything has run fine for
the past few days (and that includes a couple of 1-2 hour trips?) We'll
see.

Yesterday (I took it off instead of the Holiday today?) I was working on
the Scirocco, debating on whether I actually wanted to install the new set
of rear discs/calipers/carriers etc. After getting the car up, I decided
against it (daylight doesn't last long 'round here this time of year) The
current calipers' e-brakes have seized, it's not a big deal, but I'd like
it fixed? So I drop the car down, and decide to check and adjust all of the
tire pressures, when I notice a *very* small puddle (like 5 tablespoons)
under the car. It's antifreeze, dripping about once every 10-12 seconds.
Further inspection leads to the water pump. Great. It's getting dark.

Long story short, the water pump was shot (a victim of the crappy bearings
that Shawn mentioned in a previous post.) I finished in the dark, with the
aid of our motion sensor lights, which went out every 3 minutes, forcing me
to wave my arms like a maniac to get the lights to come back on.

Thank God that I don't have power steering or A/C, or I might still be out
there?.

Just thought that you might want to know what happened?

Thanks again for ALL of the help offered on both subjects! Soon I'll be
able to chime in with my own answers, instead of pelletting the list with
questions all of the time!

Greg.
82 Scirocco 1.8 JH
91 Jetta 1.8 8v (Digifant still sucks!)