Re: [tech] ajustable timing devices

At 3:25 PM -0500 11/10/97, Shawn C Meze wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:51:44 -0700 (MST) Night Shadow
><soltwede@ucsub.Colorado.EDU> writes:
>
>>Shawn, I think the biggest thing is, an 8v(stock) is a non-interference
>>motor(for all who don't know what the means, is the valves never enter
>the
>>same space as the piston occupies)....

Actually, this is not neccesarily true.  My (8v)head has been shaven to the
minimum factory limit, and the valves can hit the pistons.  This is still a
"stock" engine, as I am still within factory tolerances, but the valves
most assuredly do hit.  They have to be more than eight degrees out of
phase, however, probably closer to twenty degrees - IE, the piston at TDC,
rotate the cam 8 degrees, (like what an adjustable cam sprocket would do),
the valves don't hit.

a 16v is an interference
>engine...so
>>if you get cam timing screwed, piston hits valve...boom...no more pretty
>>16v....

So what if I put an adjustable sprocket on my car and blow the engine?  The
manufacturer of the sprocket is going to pay for my engine?  No.  I have'nt
the foggiest idea why some companies won't make a sprocket for the 16v, but
I don't think for a second it is (legitimately) for reasons of liability.
We could'nt do anything to our cars if the manufacturers of high
performance parts were somehow held responsible for damages as a result of
their parts.  What about rear swaybars?  Are manufacturers responsible for
idiots who slide into things backwards because they think they're Mario and
have a big swaybar?  How is that different from an end user putting an
adjustable sprocket on wrong?  What if someone is changing their timing
belt on a 16v and gets it one tooth off?  Whose fault is that?  The idiot
who put the belt on wrong?  Of course.  Would this blow up the valves?
Don't know.  One tooth on an 8v is about eight degrees, if I remember
correctly.  Most 8v sprockets adjust 6-8 degrees - I can't imagine that a
16v will start introducing valves to pistons in that range.  Also, what
company in their right mind will sell a cam sprocket which would give
enough adjustment to damage internal components?  If the product, when used
correctly, does what it is supposed to do, there should be no liability.
If the user installs it incorrectly, it is not the manufacturer's fault!

>OK, but if this were a problem, why does TT sell one for the 16V?
>Obviously you can change the cam timming a little and not have
>intereference problems, right?

Eurosport makes one too.

>>So posiblity of liability law suits against the manufacturer...(Hmmm my
>>Business law class does come in handy)...
>>Eric

I don't buy it.  If the product _causes_ a problem, sure, the manufacturer
has some responsibility.  If the product is used improperly, how is the
manufacturer at fault?  If you lower your car too much and shred your nifty
lowrider tires, is it the fault of the spring manufacturer?  What if you
put on an oil cooler, but screw up the hose connections, and your engine
explodes.  When used _properly_, an oil cooler does good things.  If you
botch up the hose fittings, and all the oil leaks out, is it the
manufacturer's fault?  If you buy a 16v adjustable pulley, which when used
_properly_ allows for cam timing changes, but use it improperly, whose
fault is it?

Mannix(someone makes adjustable pullies for the E30 M3, too - want to talk
about an "interference" engine?)