Re: [tech] ajustable timing devices

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:51:44 -0700 (MST) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.Colorado.EDU> writes:

>Shawn, I think the biggest thing is, an 8v(stock) is a non-interference
>motor(for all who don't know what the means, is the valves never enter
the
>same space as the piston occupies)....a 16v is an interference
engine...so
>if you get cam timing screwed, piston hits valve...boom...no more pretty
>16v....

OK, but if this were a problem, why does TT sell one for the 16V?
Obviously you can change the cam timming a little and not have
intereference problems, right?

>So posiblity of liability law suits against the manufacturer...(Hmmm my
>Business law class does come in handy)...
>Eric

If this were true, then VW would have paid out thru the ass to pay/fix
everybody who has ever experienced the self machining syndrome. I just
don't go along with that. If somebody buys the cam gear, they KNOW its an
aftermarket item and they pretty much take full responsibility for its
result. If not, then those who have bought and used NOS or Turbo systems
and increased the boost ect only to burn a piston or have a dramatic
backfire would have a case against the makers of those items as well. I
just don't see it. Then again, OJ walked.....
(Let me have my cup of Joe before I say more...)
:)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and