adjustable cam gear

So can anybody tell me if I can just put one of my diesel cam gears on
an 8v engine?  The diesel cranks have a tapered end with a keyway, but
the pulleys don't have a keyway.  I've never had the gear off an 8v cam,
so I don't know if the end is tapered.  It seems to me if this would
work that there is yet another good high performance use for diesel
parts!  (Along with bigger clutches, bigger cv's, and heavier duty motor
mounts)

Thanks for your time guys!

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi <--- for sale
'85 Jetta diesel
'82 diesel pickup
'69 baja Beetle
parts cars - '80 Rabbit diesel, '86 GTi, '88 16v GTi
website - http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm