Re: Electrical Quirks

In a message dated 97-11-09 15:26:08 EST, JBrubaker@AMF.com writes:

<< I gotta problem.  This isn't with my Scirocco but it's my 85 Golf GTI.
  When I was driving to a friends house yesterday I notice two things
 occurring.  My radio would go out (loose power) for a second, come
 back on w/ no problem.  This is a digital radio and usually when it
 loses power it also loses its preset stations, this did not occur.
  The second irregularity was that the seatbelt light (the one right
 next to the brake light which is located to the left of the radio and
 to the right of the instrument cluster) kept coming on infrequently.
  I tried various different things (turning on blinkers, lights on and
 off, etc.) to try an induce either of these two "irregularities" with
 no luck.  Well, after I arrived at my friends house and stayed for a
 few hours, I came out and tried to start my car.  No luck - it was
 dead, battery zapped.  I jumped the car - started right up.  I then
 drove the car for a while, let the battery charge, stopped at the
 local 7-11 and the car wouldn't start up.  Dead battery - it seemed.
  After trying the ignition a few more times, it cranked right on over.
  Hmmm, what's going on here?  Drove home (about 3 blocks), turned the
 car off, tried to turn it back over and nothing.  No crank, nothing
 but the instrument cluster lights came on until I actually turned the
 key to the crank position.  What do y'all think?  This is the first
 time I've had any sort of problem like this on this car and I haven't
 done any work as of lately other than changing the distributor cap and
 rotor (the car runs fine).  Alternator?  Voltage regulator?  Short?
  Please help.

Take a look at the ignition switch.  It's behind the key switch.  Can be
replaced without replacing the key mechanism.  The switch provides power to
the accesorries on a separate circuit than the ignition.  My switch failed
years ago.  When it happens again, jiggle/wiggle the key and see if it helps.
 If you get any reaction at all, the switch is going bad.  If I remember,
didn't cost to much to replace.

Good Luck.

-dick-
78 Scirocco