Re: Dumb questions for the day

At 19:15 11/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>DQ #1:
>
>OK, I'm tired of being the only person who doesn't know.  So what exactly
>are fog lights, driving lights, and cornering lights?  If I want to fill in
>some of the dark areas between my car and the region illuminated by my
>headlights which is the one to get?

Fog lights - low cut-off diffuse lights that don't make lots of glare in fog.
Driving lights - usually bright as hell, REALLY annoying to oncoming traffic
- Like
what the Baja racers use. In the UK, I think this is what they call 'high
beams'.
Cornering lights - the bright light on the fron fender of 'luxury' type cars
that lights up
the side of the road in the direction you have the turnsignals going.
Actually, not a bad idea..

>DQ #2:
>
>	What is the proper etiquette for flashing the high beams on the
>road?  Are you supposed to flash the lights at the car ahead of you to
>signal them to move over or to tell them that you are going to go around
>them?  I guess it would depend on which lanes the cars are in when this
>happens?  I've also seen it used and have used it myself to signal to
>someone in an adjacent lane who has the blinkers on that it is OK to move
>into my lane.  I'm talking about the U.S. in case that makes a diff.

In Illinois, you're not supposed to flash brights at all. Everyone around
here uses them as a 'I am tailgating you because you are too dumb to move'
signal, or hits 'em to get oncoming drivers to kill their driving
lights....Truckers appreciate a flash to let them know it's OK to pull into
the lane ahead of you, or that their trailer is going to clear you when they
are passing, and moving back to the right lane, as you say.

(I have a good use for those overpowered rear foglights - self defense
against those tailgaters!)

>Thanks all, benton------

Those weren't really dumb questions! I had to think a bit...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert