Re: Door Handle

At 00:28 11/6/97 -0600, you wrote:

>As cold weather hits, so do the problems.
>
>My driver's side door handle is inoperative, the little lever on the
>inside has finally worn down enough so it won't open the door latch.
>
>I've got a replacement, and have looked at it, and want to know if any of
>you can provide tips as to changing the lock/tumbler. It looks like I
>should be able to swap them no problem, but also looks like it could end
>up a little tricky...
>
>and I don't want to end up without a door handle for a couple of days as
>cold as it's getting.  We're already having snow, and it's only Iowa!
>
>~C
>
>--                                                                 --
>     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
>     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
>     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658
>
>--

It should be easy - just undo the screw holding the lock lever to the
cylinder, and CAREFULLY pull the cylinder out of the old handle. There are
about 10 little brass tumbler slides that will try to jump out when you do
this - so the best way is to pull it while there's a key in the cylinder.
THe old cylinder should slide into the new handle with no problem. Now would
be a good time to clean the lock mechanism with solvent and grease it up
with fresh lock lube, too!

Did this to my son's '75 Bug, it worked fine.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert