Re: 90 amper alt

> I found a 90 amp alternator out of a junked Audi 5000 (dunno which year) in
> the hope of swapping out my wheezy 65A unit from my '81.  Problem is that
> my car has air and needs an alternator with the long pulley while the Audi
> one has the short pulley.  At first I thought that a simple pulley swap
> would solve my problems but the shafts are totally different lengths and a
> local shop says that the shafts are incompatible and that Audi doesn't make
> any long pulleys.  So, am I stuck and what did you guys who did swaps do
> (besides removing the AC although it doesn't work now, and it amazes me how
> much adding one extra accessory can make working in the engine compartment
> an order of magnitude tougher).

    Well, I installed a 90 amp unit into my 79 with AC.  Luckily I was
able to squeeze it in there without having to remove anything.  The one
I bought came out of a diesel golf.  I know of 2 model numbers that will
work for the MK1, AL30x and the AL27x.  There are a few more but I cant
remember them offhand.  Anyone....  As for your pulley problem, I couldnt
say.  I swapped out the one from my 65 onto the 90 amp unit and it worked
just fine.  Are you even sure that the mounting location on the alternator
would fit your MK1?

 Andre'