90 amper alt

I found a 90 amp alternator out of a junked Audi 5000 (dunno which year) in
the hope of swapping out my wheezy 65A unit from my '81.  Problem is that
my car has air and needs an alternator with the long pulley while the Audi
one has the short pulley.  At first I thought that a simple pulley swap
would solve my problems but the shafts are totally different lengths and a
local shop says that the shafts are incompatible and that Audi doesn't make
any long pulleys.  So, am I stuck and what did you guys who did swaps do
(besides removing the AC although it doesn't work now, and it amazes me how
much adding one extra accessory can make working in the engine compartment
an order of magnitude tougher).

thanx as usual, benton------