Re: I'm getting a 16V engine, need help

On Sat, 31 May 1997 13:31:55 +0000 "Ben Beacock" <beacockb@primeline.net>
wrote:

> I'm almost all saved up to get a new engine and I've decided to go
> for a 16V.  I talked to a tuning place in Toronto and he says the
> best way to go is the 1.8L because just putting a 2.0L bottom on isn't
> the same as a whole 2.0L because of the different
> injection/electronic system.  Besides, a 2.0 L would be nice 1.8 is a
> nice place to start for my lightweight '81.
> But the thing I need is the intake as the ones he has are for GTI and
> come out on the wrong side.  If someone has one could the let me know
> how much it would go for?  And what about a euro intake. would that
> be unbeleivably expensive?
> Time to do some SERIOUS upgrades here...
> Ben

Well Ben,
In your mk1 Scirocco a 16v is gonna kick some ass!  Personally I would go witht eh
2.0L because the stock injection can handle it fine and I like the extra torque it has.
As long as you don't put it over 160hp you'll be fine IMHO.  I know a 2.0L Scirocco
16v with the Autotech big bore kit for 2035cc's and it has the stock injection and
pulls like mad.  Have you heard of Kaz-Tech?  They are a GREAT place in NJ who
did this project and the owner worked for VWoA in R&D so he knows what he is
talking about.  The car puts out near 165hp with the stock head and cams (I think it
has the stock cams)  The 2.0L shouldnt be much more either.  I would call 1800 VW
PARTS.  They probably have the Scirocco intake manifold.  Of course no matter
WHAT you put in you can't use the CIS.  You will need the knock sensor and
electroinc ignition as well so either way you'll have some serious rewiring.  If you can
find one, a Wrecked Scirocco 16v would be the thing to get as a donor car so you
can pull the entire wiring harness and fuse box.  That should set you up nicely.
Good luck!

Josh Clark
Visit EXC's Performance Website at:
http://idt.net/~exc
(201) 726 0507

-We specialize in specialty European parts and
-wheels for VW's