Re: Rear Wheel Bearing <2>

At 03:41 PM 5/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Ahhh!  Is this a common symptom of of a bad front motor mount?  I'm
>very careful to let off the gas in my car *slowly*, because if I go
>quickly from accelerating to coasting, the car always bucks a little.

Its the symptom of one or several bad motor mounts. It just depends on
which one or several are bad.

>Am I also right that you can't necessarily tell the condition of a
>motor mount just by looking at it?  You might just have to take the
>plunge and replace one/all if you have symptoms like mine?
>
>Thanks,
>-Dan
>1988 Scirocco 16V
>San Diego, CA

Right, looking at them wont tell much other than seeing any visable
dammage they may have. Most of the time its not something you can see
right away. If you were to put the car in gear and with the parking
brake off rock the car foreward and backwards you can more easily see
which motor mounts are flexing the most. Thats one good way to
determine which ones are bad. the only problem with this method is you
cant see the rear tranny mount at all.

You can put the car on jack stands and whily your under the car with
your eyes locked on the rear and the tranny side mounts, have somebody
try and move the engine. (shake it a few times) This should give you a
good indication of how beat they are.
Your car is 9 years old and more than likely, all of your MM need to be
replaced. THATS right! I drove your car didnt I? I remember that
engine/tranny falling over feeling. Passenger mount, maybe even the
front mount too.

HTH!

Shawn