Compression questions

OK I know that the 84 JH has 8-5-1 compression and the 1.8 16v has
10-?-1 compression but what do the three numbers stand for?

When you compression test an engine it has been said that a 84 JH is
good if each cylinder is between 135 and 150 PSI(i think its psi).
Is this pressure in any relation to the 8-5-1?

What happens when you put on a high compression head gasket?  I know
it bumps the JH to 9-5-1 but would there then, be more pressure in
the cylinders?  I understand all the other aspects of the engine but
this stuff confuses me.

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

Check out the Watercooled VW gallery...