Re: New vs. Used Suspension

At 12:56 PM 5/27/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>	I just had a question about suspension components. I noticed alot of
>people here and in other places on the web selling use sway bars,anti-roll bars,
>springs and the like. My question is if I were to purchase some of these parts
>would they last for awhile or would they "wear out". Do these parts tend to
>weaken after a while. I am looking to get my car on the road soon and want it to
>perfor well. I don't want to race it right off the bat but maybe eventually.

It depends on what you want to change in your car. If you like the stock
suspension and the way it handles, leave it alone, enjoy. if you want better
cornering and handeling, then look into buying some aftermarket, or, if your car
came without them, stock swaybars.
(FYI,  sway bars and anti-roll bars are the same thing. Its one of those multi
named items.)
Id say that these parts do, in time wear out. BUT, they will last a long time
before they you wear out. Typically, swaybars break first.
If you are budget minded then the net is a great place to find excelent deals on
used suspension pieces. Just be sure to ask if they're complete or not. I ended
up having to buy a few bolts and stuff for my front swaybar.

>Thanks for any and all information and I welcome any suggestions as to brands
>and alternatives.

Theres all kinda of aftermarket suspension items. From my experience, the spring
to aviod are HOR and Suspension Techniques. Ive seen and heard of these 2 brands
having mixed spring rates in a set and also getting very soft, very fast.
(longevity problems).
I've heard no problems from Spax users (not that I know many..) and Neuspeed (H&R
is the same spring maker as Neuspeed.)

On swaybars, there are many makers of these as well. Lately, i've heard alot of
breaking problems with the Hollow swaybars. To me, in theory, these should be
stronger but if the wrong alloy is used, then it doesnt matter how well a swaybar
is engineered. If the metal is flawed, it will fail.
HTH!

Shawn