Re: compressions

At 2:04 AM -0600 05/23/1997, Shad Shepston wrote:
>I bought a compression checker for my motorcycle but it didn't fit so I
>figured I'd check the rocco.  Normal range is 131-174psi. I got from
>120psi to 130psi.  So, what I was wondering was if that is comparable to
>the normal range at sea level since I'm about a mile up.  I would be
>surprised if the compression is out of the normal operating range since
>the rebuilt engine only has about 35k on it.  So, anyone else up this
>high have similar readings?  What are you reading on the rabbit there in
>Boulder Maniacs?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Hey Shad!  Umm, Kevin's car and mine are at 150=/-2 across the board - last
time I did mine (month ago) it was 150,150,153,150.  +/-3, I guess.  I
think Kevins was 150,150,151,150.  Something like that.  Did you: take out
all plugs, turn over engine with throttle wide open, turn it over enough?
Next thing to check would be the gauge - put it on my car, see what it
does.  Check the cam timing, the moron who put the cam in might have
screwed up;).  I doubt the cam is off, though - we checked it several
times, and the cam has to be WAY off to show bad compression, then it
normally won't run.  Possible, though.  120-130 is low, your car does not
"feel" down on power.  A friend's car is <120 across the board, 110-115, it
still goes OK.  Hard to say, but the altitude should'nt affect it,
AFAIK(could be wrong).  My car has 140k on it, give or take.  Did you do
the aforementioned?  Not pulling all the plugs on my car showed 130ish once
- I freaked, we read the instructions, pulled all plugs, floored it, 150.
Whew.  Lemme no!

Mannix