Re: HP and Torque Curves

At 11:05 PM 5/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> >From the write-ups I've read in EC, apparently, the only 'fixes' are a
>> K&N filter to help the Rocco breath (runs out of 'air' at 6000), and a
>> hot cam (coupled with a good exhaust).  Hopefully, once I install the
>> 2.0 bottom end and the above mentioned items, baby won't run out of
>> 'air' but catch a 'second wind' ;)
>
>	So what's the deal with my car, then.  I forgot to mention that I have
>drilled out my airbox and added a K&N, but even before I did that, the
>car revved like mad.  Does this mean that when I reinstall my
>aftermarket cat and oxy sensor I'm going to get a reduction in power?
>BTW, I'll prolly be getting an aftermarket exhaust and 2.25 pipes as
>well.  Comments?  It sux knobs when ya don't know nuthin.  :(

It could be a number of things wrong. Its been my experience in the completely
stock 16V of the Pottermans is that it pulls HARD all the way to 7400 rpms
easily. Then I drove Dans 16V and thought it felt a little tired top end. The
difference between the two could be Mikes is simply well tuned. You could have
a combination of parts getting old, tired ect. The valves coule be showing
their age. Compression might not be what it used to be. The ignition system
may not be as strong, along those lines.

The other idea is that your so acustomed to the feel of your car that it
simply doesnt have the seat of the pants power it had when you first got the
car. The more you drive it, the more it seems like its lacking power,
especially in the top end of the RPM band.

I would recomend you reinstall the ox sensor since it pretty much sets the
fuel for you. Without it, the car will run rich all the time. Its kind of a
needy part to have in the car.

As far as exhaust size, 2" is probbably better suited for the 1.8L 16V.
Especially if your going to keep it stock. It will do a much better job with
low end torque. (Which the 16V needs!) If you were going to go with a 2.0L 16V
or do some mods on the 1.8L then the 2.25" exhaust will probably do the best
job for you.

You can get a new cat that will flow as well as no cat! (AKA Hi flo cat)
HTH!

Shawn