Re: A few questions:

In a message dated 97-05-21 00:57:19 EDT, gbaxter@valleybrook.com (Greg
Baxter) writes:

<< To keep this Scirocco related, has anyone installed the 'hi rev valve
springs' that a few places are advertising? I'm quite happy with the ease
that my 82 gets up to the 5-6k band, I suppose that the increased breathing
ability has much to do with that (16v TB, Port-matched intake, 268' cam,
header) but what difference would lit make if I installed these springs? I
think that someone has them listed in the latest EC for $55/set. >>

My experience with "hi rev valve springs" are that I have Drake Super Sport
valve springs in my 1.8l head.  They were installed when the head work was
done as part of the package.  I was told, by Drake Engineering, that the
stiffer springs allow the engine to rev higher before you get valve
float(which makes sense to me).  I was also told that for high lift cams(mine
is .426") you need a higher performance spring, due to the higher stresses on
the spring.  Drake told me my head would be good for 9000 rpm(yeah like I'm
really gonna try that).  It is good peace of mind to know that though.
Don't know much about these that are being offered these days.  I would ask
lots of questions, like what is the highest lift possible, what is the engine
rpm rating for these springs, were these springs developed through testing or
someone elses so called "sport springs".

Have fun.
-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original owner.