Re: VDO vacuum gauge???

In a message dated 97-05-21 15:05:10 EDT, eg1@ee.wustl.edu (Ilias Glavinas)
writes:

<< That is, until I found out that VDO has a vacuum gauge. Now, that is a
 much more useful gauge than the outside temp. and it costs far less
 (temp. gauge costs *gasp* *choke* $120+ with the sensor).

 My question is: this gauge _can_ be used in VWs, correct? I don't see why
not, all is needed is to tap off the vacuum lines at one point to get
 the reading for the gauge. But I want to be 100% sure before I buy the
 gauge, so if anyone knows about this please LMK. >>

Yes...  it can be used.  I have had mine in for 14 years.  Works great.  I
plugged into the spare port on the vacuum "tee" fitting right above the valve
cover(Mk1).  With practice, you can tell when the auxiliary air valve closes
and all sorts of other conditions of your engine.  Don't know the Mk2 vacuum
layout so you have to take a look for yourself, sorry.

Keep on Rocing.
-dick-
'78 Scirocco.
Original owner.