Re: Normal temperature readings

At 11:25 AM 5/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>With all this talk about overheating going about, what should my 'idiot'
>coolent temperature gauge be reading at full warm up on the highway at
>60mph+?  I'm currently getting a reading of a needles width shy of 3/4 on
>the coolent gauge, and about 105-110 on the oil.  I run 20w50.  Is this
>normal?  I'm not looking to replace anything if it's not broken. :-)
>
>==Brett

As a general rule of thumb, any reading on a gauge between the limits of
the gauge is considered normal.

BUT! if you are used to seeing the temp needle point to a certain spot on
the gauge then there is the possability that there is something starting
to go wrong, or simply the cooling system simply needs servicing.

I have a 180 deg thermostat on my car. Typically, my car runs at 180-185
degrees (which is about where the needle points to the red LED) on the
freeway and about 185-190 around town, depending on weather. (190-195
after a hard autox run on a hot day.) My car runs pretty cool most of the
time.

Another note, the when the needle is maxed out on the stock gauge, the
water temp is 220 degrees.
HTH!

Shawn