mk1 scirocco no elec power

OK I put my 1.8 in my 80 a couple days ago so heres the status of the
car...
There is no anti freeze in it cause I have finished getting all the
proper hoses.  The radiator is there, most of the hoses are plugged
into it, but not enough to put in anti freeze.
The battery is in, all wires and vacume lines are connected but one.
The large air hose that goes from the air box to the intake.
No axes yet.
No exhaust system at all.  Therefor no oxy sensor.
The whole fuel injection system is setup for the most part but this
is where my problem comes in.

I was flush the fuel system by jumpering the pump relay (j13 to j14).
 I wasn't getting any power to the fuel pump.  Jumpering or not the
fuel pump won't run.  Upon further inspection the starter won't run
either.
However the radiator fan runs(I have a toggle switch for it, that
overrides the thermostat).  All the lights work and radio.  There is
no power to any of the major machanical components.
Could this be cause there is no anti freeze in it?  Is there some
emergency relay that locks up the engine?  Could it be I missed a
major ground but then the lights wouldn't work, right?

Any advice would be great.

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 8v

Check out the Watercooled VW gallery...