Re: Cooling fan problems (again)

At 02:15 PM 5/16/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Well after I replaced my cooling fan thermoswitch, I thought my
>fan problems were solved.  After going for a quick highway test
>drive and returning, I left the car idling until the temp needle swung
>to the 3/4 position, at which point the fan came on.  Woohoo,
>problem solved.  Or so I thought...
>
>Over the last week my car has overheated 3 times, and every time I
>checked the fan and it's not running.  I'm going to clean the contacts
>to the thermoswitch this weekend but I'm wondering if there are other
>possible culprits.  If my thermostat was failing would it also cause
>the fan not to come on?
>
>Thanks
>
>Tim
>
>'88 16v Tornado Red

I've had this problem twice. Each time I thought the fan switch (3
prong) was bad. After driving the car I would see temps of 210 and the
only thing I could do to make the fan run was turn on the A/C. It
works. On both of those scenerios I found one of the "+" wires going to
my + battery terminal had pulled loose. The first time, I reconnected
it and thought it was fixed. It lasted about 6 months before it did it
again. I had not even thought it could have happened again and
also there were so many wires comming from the terminal that spotting
one that was disconnected wasnt easy.

Now that I have the Corrado battery cables installed, everything is
neatly tied into the + cable and I havent had any problems. The fan
runs on low and high speeds as its soposed to do.

Maybe this could be whats ailing your Scirocco??
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi