Re: Misc questions.

On Fri, 16 May 97 10:08:01 EDT snoalh@unx.sas.com writes:

>noticed is that it's hard to find/get into first gear.  I haven't
>changed the tranny fluid yet, so I that's the first thing I'll do
>there.
>Any recommendations?  How about redline MTL?  Is this standard tranny
>behavior for VW's or possibly a sign of shot synchros/other problems?
>(Sorry, this is my first VW).

You might try replacing all the bushings in the shift linkage.  Takes
about 20 min, the kit runs less than $10.  If that doesn't help much, try
adjusting the linkage.  Procedure is in the Bentley book.

Correct product from Redline is MT90 for the VW trans.  MTL was used by
many before MT90 was available, but MTL is a little too thin.

>  I also need an exhaust to pass inspection.  Sounds like the
>techtonics
>is the system of choice.  Anyone got techtonics number handy?

The Techtonics exhaust is a good product, I have used them on several VWs

>  Once I get these two items out of the way, as well as changing all
>the
>other fluids and filters, and a complete tune-up, I'll be ready to
>pepper you guys with more questions ;-).  Can't wait to tear into the

Fire away!