Re: '85 scirocco

On 13 May 97 at 17:09, Dale D. Baker wrote:

> it's actually overheating (blinking light and oil temp 150 C)  I've
> noticed that the fan doesn't run while the car is running, but after
> i shut it off (after observing it for 10 minutes at idle).  I had to
> pull over today and let it cool down after an hour traffic jam.  Any
> suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

I've heard that the water pump impeller can come loose from the
shaft, causing overheating.  Another more common problem is to
replace the thermostat.  If the fan belt that turns the water pump is
too loose it could overheat (I don't know if you have a/c or power
steering).  The radiator could have a blockage.  A real unusual thing
could be a over-soft radiator (upper or lower) hose collapsing and
cutting off water circulation.

That should give you enuff ideas and hopefully lead you to a
solution.  As far as the fan only running after the motor's off, it
could be that the sensor is faulty and needs replacing.  It should
come on before the engine overheats, not after.  You may want to get
a low temp switch so it turns on quicker.  If you have a/c, you
could turn it on when it starts getting hot and that will make the
fan run.  Not a solution, but a way to get thru till you find the
real problem.  HTH

Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com