Re: Help, I have a weird problem...

At 01:54 AM 5/13/97 -0400, Leo Pelekh wrote:
>Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this has been discussed on the list before.  I
>have this weird problem that has been becoming very annoying lately. My 87'
>16v just stalls in the middle of regular driving. It just shuts off and
>then wouldn't start for about 5 - 10 minutes. By this point I loose all
>hope, my girlfriend in the passenger seat is thinking of breaking up with
>me  :) and I'm ready to call a tow truck when all of a sudden it starts and
>everything's fine. It used to do that only every ones in a while but lately
>it has been doing it regularly every time I take it out. It seems to be
>totally random, sometimes after driving for only a couple of miles,
>sometimes after a long session of hard driving. Unfortunately I didn't get
>a chance to check for a spark on such an occasion yet. The only other
>symptom is that once in a great while it hesitates when accelerating. It
>seems that the only way to troubleshoot this problem is to find someone who
>had it before and fixed it. So if you're out there please E-mail, I will be
>much obliged. Thanx so much.
>
>			Yours
>
>			Leo Pelekh
>			87' Scirocco 16v
>			Silver, 131G.
>			Techtronics, Ferodo street,
>			NeuSpeed, Boge Turbo Gas, K&N.
>
>--
>
>Leo, I have a '87 16v also and recently had similar symptoms. Have you
checked your fuel pressure and are you getting a spark from your plugs?  The
fuel filter on my car was nearly plugged(original w/95k miles).I thought
replacing the filter would solve the problem but the real culprit turned out
to be the hall sender unit on the distributor. After running a short while,
the engine would die and not restart for some time. This could also be
caused by a faulty ignition control module.   HTH    Gerry   '87 16v