Re: Water-temp and ammeter gauges ??

At 02:32 PM 5/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Question for the water-temp gauge: I was informed by somebody at New
>Dimensions or Rapid Parts (can't remember) that if you want to install
>the water-temp gauge, then you will sacrifice the swing gauge in the
>dash, since VDO does not make dual sensors that will work for both
>applications. Has anybody in here managed to install a water-temp gauge
>while also retaining the swing gauge in the dash?

heres how you do it. Im not sure which motor you have, but you just get
which ever housing that you dont have. Simple. First, both of these
housings bolt up to the head. *FYI*

OK, I had the 1.7L engine and I swapped to the 1.8L. The 1.7L has a temp
sensor on the water housing for the heater hoses. (its on the tranny side
of the engine. Hoses run to the firewall)

The 1.8L had its water temp sensor on the housing for the upper radiatior
hose. (facing the radiator) I simply used both of these housings and left
the stock water temp connected and ran my wire for my VDO to the new
sensor. Very easy, clean and looks stock. No funny T-fittings (Which dont
give a very accurate reading) or funkyness going on. Straight foreward
instalation and best of all, you can probably pick up either pieces at a
local junkyard for pretty cheap.
HTH!

Shawn