Re: autobahn's body kits

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Josh Clark wrote:

> > has anybody seen one of this?
> > has anybody a picture of a rocco 2 that has one of this
>
> Well they're exact copies of Kamei's body kits so if you've ever seen an  X1 Scirocco
> body kit that's what the Autobahn kit looks like.  There are pictures on the Scirocco
> web site.  I don't know anything about the quality though.

Well, I can tell you that I got the front spoiler from Autobahn designs.
It was made of fiber glass, and the frustrating thing about it is that as
soon as you lightly touch or scrape something with the bottom of your
spoiler it chips into little pieces, instead of simply being "sanded". It
is not as flexible as the ABS plastic (which the Kamei kit is made of).
As a result, after 5-6 months the edges of my spoiler had about 1-2 cubic
inches of stuff fallen off. It is almost inevitable that your spoiler
will touch ground no matter how careful you are (especially if you have
lowering springs in your car like I do), so I suggest you go with the
Kamei kit (it is not that expensive; I bought the front spoiler only for
$190).

(I of course wrote a letter to ABD, and the owner called me back to
discuss the problem. He claimed that there should have been no chipping
of pieces, simply a "sanding" effect, and urged me to mail the spoiler
back to them to check for defects --they wouldn't share shipping for me
returning it. I am about to do that and see what they say.)

Ilias