Re: Western Rally special event!

On 10 May 97 at 12:47, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> >New Dimensions in Santa Clara, CA is 40min. (30min.@80mph;) from
> >San Francisco, and is having a charity swap meet/car show on MAY
> >18th! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,... What do you guys think?  I know it's
> >kinda soon, but
> it
> >only happens once a year :(
> >See you there? (I hope :)
> >
> >Chris Gonzalez

Too soon for me too.

> Then Velocity is having their car show in sept. (as i've already
> posted) I will be going to that one. For those of you way up north,
> that would add a few more hours to the driving time. Im not sure it
> would be worth it for you to drive all the way to LA for that, but
> who knows. Id like to hear a consensus as to what were willing to do
> and go? Id like to get some numbers?

I'll defer on that till closer to Sept.  It's not real likely tho.

> I still really like the idea of SF being the targeted drop zone.
> Those of us south of SF can meet for a convoy going north. Those of
> you north of SF can so the same, heading south. (Then any straggler
> can come in from wherever) How does that sound?

ok....I did more checking.  SF is 815 miles from Seattle, meaning the
SD group has to go only 400 miles.  Not even close to 1/2 way.
Redding is 596 from SEA, 677 from SD.  Since Roccet (what the hell is
your name, anyway?) is coming from VAN, that makes it 716 for him.
That's a little better and isn't there some sort of racing facility
there?  that's @ 11 hr trip for both....one good day of driving.

> FYI* I drove from Bellingham WA (1 hour north of Seattle) to SF it
> took me 9 hrs to get there. (total time) So, its drivable in a day
> for everybody, for the most part. so if you figure 2 days for
> driving and 2 days for whatever we decide to do in SF then 4 days
> would work.

Come on, Shawn!  It's @875 miles from Bellingham to SF.  You'd have
to AVERAGE 100mph to do that, including at least 1 stop for gas/food.
While you're usually pretty trustworthy, this one I can't swallow :)
Assuming an average of 60mph it would take close to 15 hours.  It
would take 2 fuel stops for most of us to get there, so 60mph average
might be high.

> What would be even cooler is if SF had an autox! (Ya, now im
> dreaming!) Leave on a friday, saturday we play, sunday we can all
> gather at the track and hang out, relax, meet each other, RACE, ect.
> Monday we go home.

Well, wherever we wind up this would be cool.  While I won't be
racing my daily driver with stock wheels and tires, I'd love to see
you guys in action!

> Well, im just brain storming here so im pretty much open to
> anything. I am trying to think of ways where the most people can
> attend. Those are the parameters im thinking about. Anybody else??

I've already thrown my .02 into the ring.......just trying to make
this a doable thing over a weekend so I only have to burn 2 day
vacation.  I have some family back east in ill health and need to be
sure I have enuff to get back there to see them before someone
croaks.  Blunt, but true :)  I've only been hired on since Dec, so I
got limited days to use, need to get the most bang for my vac buck!

Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg