Re: Where have all the Scirocco's gone?

>I was at the local Ecology yard Saturday (for those non-California folks,
>that's a local pick-your-own-parts auto wrecker) and saw something very
>disturbing. They participate in the California Old Car Buy-Back program. This
>is where the state funds the purchase of old, presumably-smog-producing cars
>for $500.00 each and then crushes them. There was a guy with a very nice,
>very straight '81 "S" model turning it in. Mars Red, all original but faded,
>excellent candidate for an enthusiast. I asked why he was sending it to its
>death, he said it was too high in miles to expect anyone to buy it so he was
>going this route. I told him there were Scirocco enthusiasts who would kill
>for the car, and he should sell it to someone who will keep it on the road.
>He didn't believe me, and didn't want to sell it to me, either. Hell, I'd
>have given him more than the $500.00 they were going to pay, but he wouldn't
>do it. What a putz! Kind of made me think, though.

I think you could easily claim justifiable homicide if you were to pop a
cap in him and take the car. IMHO. I went looking for this exact model two
years ago when I bought my 16V. I would've paid good money for it. Would it
be possible to buy the whole car back from the wrecker as a "parts" car?
Just a thought...

Brad