hall sender and ignition control unit

I have a car that has been stumping me for some time.  I really need to
get this thing out of the way it would make me alot happier.

So...

for those of you who have 8 valve motors, have any of you had problems
with either the hall sender or ignition control units?  what are the
symptoms?  will you still get spark and are there any common VW quirks in
this area I should thoroughly check before going through the whole thing
with a multitester and manual.

for those of you with pre 85 cars and have replaced the smaller air flow
plate with the larger one.  Did you have to replace the the fuel
distributor or just the plate?

The story as goes so far is:

1982 Rabbit (just pretend it says Scirocco)

car develops hard cold starting over winter (possibly unrelated) had to
start a few 	times and rev it up, it would then die.  repeat till
warm enough then it was 	fine
the car dies suddenly.
timing belt checked and ok marks good
injectors checked cleaned, and replaced with new o rings
some fuel problems worked out I believe they were from the car sitting.
the fuel now 	gets to the injectors- bottom line
Spark is good
cold start, thermo time switch good
pressure regulator good
I have gotten the car started a few times, it will run nicely if I play
with the mixture 		and I have to play with the timing to
get it to start, so I must reset that 		everytime,but will
not start again if stopped.
I'm getting annoyed and confused, the hall sender/ignition control seems
to be the 	next logical thing.

ANY help or suggestions would be very gratefully accepted.

Kyle