Re: 7" vs 8" wheels (long)

>Oh, that makes sence. You have to use spacers?? Maybe im being nosey, but
why
>didnt you just have the wheel offset changed when you bought the wheels?
(Or, like
>me, you bought them used, had no choice?)

Yes, I have to use I/4" spacers to clear the calipers.  I also had to
change to the GTI pad cariers to get the clearnce to fit the wheel.  They
don't have the inset like the reveloutions do.  The wheels are only
manufactured in 1" increments on backspacing.  This is the case with most
of the billet center w/ rolled bolt on section.  If i'd gone the other way
I'd have 1/4" of wheel in my front struts.

I agree I need time to learn the new setup & adjust to it.  But I've been
driving this car for 5 years  and I know how it feels when the balance is
correct.  Right now it's not very good at all, but hopefully with some work
I can change that.

>>I'm afraid that the car is too stiff for the the new wheel tire combo.  I
>>think that the wider wheel increased the spring rate of the tires & that it
>>might just be too much with the set up that I have on the car.

>I honestly cant see that happening. The spring rate may have been altered,
but I
>bet its in the opposit direction than what your thinking. I would think
that it
>would decrease the spring rate. (added weight)

The new wheels are around 7lbs a piece compared to 12.5 for the old ones.
The tire is also "tighter" on the rim and allows less deflection.
the force transmitted to the strut & shock assembly is increased by the
lever arm effect of the extra 1 3/8 that wasn't there before.  There are
lots of varibales that I need to rule out
>>The car also has plenty of grip in the back, the front is washing out and
>>causing the push.
>

>Your better off having too much air in the rear tires. It helps to loosen
up the
>rear on the track. Too low just causes alot of drag and tire wear. I
dunno, its my
>preferences, just sharing!

Usually I'd agree, and this was true of my seven inch wheels.  I haven't
been able to get the new wheel & tire combo to loosen up in the rear by
inflating pressures.  I've actually tried 22F & 30R, all this did was give
me major amounts of grip in the back & make the push (nascar term) worse.

All the problems seem to come from lack of grip in the front.  Do you think
it's possible that the 25MM front bar is to stiff for this combo?

Alan