Re: CIS FI Problem Solved!

Harry Jones WISD wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions concerning my recent FI problem :

I did not follow this thread, so apologies in advance, but I see a few
problems with your solution:

> Symptoms -
>
>         * Starts Great and Easy
>         * Runs Great for 15 - 20 Seconds (5th injector)

The cold start valve only runs for 3-6 sec depending on outside temp.
anyway

>         *After 20 sec. , Starts to idle rough and any gas pedal will kill
>          the engine!
>         *When running rough (cold only) the idle would "pulse" +/- 500rpm
>
> Solution - Bad O2 sensor system thermo switch (on heater hoses)
>
>         *Tested switch cold = 0 continuity

switch is supposed to open at only 59F

>         *Jump switch and it runs great
>
>         Why? The lack of current to the O2 sensor caused the frequency
>         valve to lean-out the mixture.
>

>         Will buy a new switch on Sat.

Not so fast.  The thermoswitch should be continuity when cold (<59F, not
very cold), open when warm.

But when you jump the thermoswitch wires you are disabling the OXS
system, causing the OXS frequency valve to go to a fixed 80% duty cycle -
much to rich for continuous driving.  If you have already replaced the ox
sensor then you need to dig in a little further - you might have a
problem with the frequency valve itself, the lambda control unit, or the
wiring.